In very simple terms, it can be sentenced as – when the temperature of the body leaves the safer zone.
This particular hitch is getting common nowadays in dogs. The foremost reason behind heatstroke is that dogs don’t have the ability to sweat, they start to pant but panting generally doesn’t help them much and hence they can’t fully cool down their body temperature to the safer zone which is considered to be 100 – 102.5 degrees. And a minimum increase in their body temperature ie: reaching to 106 degrees might give deadly results.
Almost all dogs are prone to heatstroke. But there are some dog breeds that need extra care.
Mentioning below the list of dog breeds that are at high risk of overheating –
- Shit Tzu
- Boston Terrier
- French Bulldog
If you are an owner of any of the above dog breeds, you need to be extra attentive and responsible especially when the weather is getting all heated up outside.
Here are a number of alarming instances which will help you in recognizing when your dog is stepping towards heat stroke.
Watch out for these signs:
- Dizziness (light-headedness)
- Heartbeat is much faster than normal.
- Bright red tongue (sticky or dry)
- Pale gums (red)
- Unexpected restlessness (getting impatient)
- Excessive, prolonged or recurrent intense panting
- Drooling (thick and sticky saliva, may froth at the mouth.)
- Weakness (collapses, unwilling to get up)
- Dog walks seem to be disoriented
- Upset stomach
Tips to avoid heatstroke:
None of the pet parents wants their pet to suffer any kind of abnormality or even uneasiness. But uncertainty cannot be denied or escaped. Life is full of uncertainties and we have to be always with our laces tight. Being careless is not an option and can never be justified.
Make sure these acts are avoided strictly:
- Never ever leave your pet in the parked car, no matter whether the car has been parked in shade also. Hot, humid, sunny, shade etc, it is never to be done.
- A haircut will help to moderate the body temperature. Shaving up to the skin is not advised.
- Access to fresh water at all times. Outside arrangements like Summer pool is always a good option.
- Ignore exercise when the temperature is all heated up.
- Avoid muzzling the dog, it will prevent the dog from panting.
- Let them splash around. Most of the dogs love to swim. It will help to bring down the body temperature.
- Avoid the beach/pavement/ roads when the sun is out, paw pads can burn. (Asphalt can cause a second degree burn on your pet’s paw within 35 seconds.)
- Always make sure your pet has access to shade and fresh water
- Wrap a freezer pack in a towel and allow your dog to lay next to it
- Avoid being active with your pet during the peak heat of the day.
- Dogs do not have the ability to cool themselves on their own. Hence, it suggested using fans or air conditioners.
- Play it safe on hot, humid days.
- Always keep frozen snacks.
Even after taking all the above care, still, your dog suffers from heat stroke then you need to act smart and fast. Just mug these points.
These are definitely going to help you:
- Remove the dog from the hot area right away
- Use a rectal thermometer to measure the body temperature.
- Use a fan, air conditioner or water in order to wet him so that the body temperature can be brought down as soon as possible.
- It is strictly advised not to use ice or cold water because too much cooling may lead to life-threatening conditions.
- Try to provide free access to water, let the dog drink some water but should not be forced. It may result in a choke.
- Rush to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Health must be monitored and a vet can only address the exact condition.
Heatstroke can be cured with prior caution. It’s high time to realize that this particular term heatstroke is dangerous and should not be taken lightly. It might give deterrent results like death, organ failure, paralysis etc.
Your pooch always stays by your side unbiased, protective no matter what is the situation. So it becomes your duty to stay alerted and act smart when it comes to the health of your darling pooch.
It’s not paying back, it is being extra responsible to override the upcoming hazard and gifting a healthy and hearty life to your pooch.
Note:– Dogs who have already suffered from heat stroke previously, increase their risk of getting it again.
Tips to keep your canine cool in summer:
Summer can be the most fun time of year for Canine and pet owners. Enjoying a beautiful summer day together will be great but heat can also be dangerous or even deadly for your dogs.
Keep your pet indoors or keep them in shade during day time. Always provide fresh cool water at all times. Exercise them during early mornings or else in the evenings. Don’t let your dog sleep in water or wet surfaces as this will make them prone to skin infection.
What to feed your dog in summer ?:
Generally, canines don’t prefer dry foods in summer. So to provide proper nutrition we can mix wet food with dry food or else you can use delicious gravy food. We have several wet gravy foods like Doggy day, Jerhigh, Royal Canin, Drools, Pedigree. Royal Canin wet food is specially designed according to the different types of dog breeds and size. It contains balanced tailored nutrition and also keeps them hydrated.
Doggy day is very delicious and packed with nutrients for dogs and puppies. They don’t add any kind of preservatives. Jerhigh wet dog food is flavored gravy food that satisfies dog pallets and provides sufficient amounts of nutrients. Pedigree dog wet food has a delicious taste and is packed with nutrients that ensure good health. Drools wet food is packed with natural flavors, DHA, vitamins, and minerals which helps in optimum growth in dogs. It is always better to feed food in the morning and evening when it’s not hot.
In this hot summer, dogs love to spend time in the water. It’s better to bathe once a week and try to comb your pet every day. It’s very important to maintain grooming routines for your dog. Over bathing can bring about skin rashes and other skin issues for your pet. You need to be very careful that your dog’s skin can be very sensitive.
Trixie pet cooling mat is designed to keep your pet cool during hot summer weather. Trixie Cooling Mat helps to regulate your pet’s body temperature and it can be used for all domestic pets. It’s very simple to use in summer and very easy to clean it like you need to wipe down with a wet cloth. It has a very compact design which can be easy to fold or roll up and store away.
Trixie Germany cooling vest is specially designed to keep your pet cool during hot summer. It helps to support thermoregulation and it can be used for older dogs as well. It is made up of absorbent PVP and it helps to regulate the body temperature in your dog.
Trixie Germany cooling bandana is made from highly absorbent PVP which is ideal for older dogs as well. It is strongly recommended for dogs while walking and running.
These supplements provide them the right electrolytes in summer and keep them hydrated.
Intas Ordelyte electrolyte supplement for pets which helps in gastrointestinal health support for dehydration due to vomiting, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal surgery. It helps to rehydrate your pet due to increased physical activity, exercise, heat stress, etc. and is particularly useful in summers for hydratio
Venkys Venlyte helps your pet suffering from dehydration during ill health in the summer season. This supplement helps to balance the electrolytes in the pet’s health system.